Monday, December 7, 2009

Video File #11: Rachel Getting Married (2008)


Rachel Getting Married is a film directed by Jonathan Demme starring Anne Hathway. The basic over of the plot is the main character Kym (Hathway) who has been in and out of rehab for the past ten years is coming home for the weekend to be in her sister Rachel's wedding. Throughout the family drama elements of tragedy are revealed and we learn why Kym can't stay out of rehab. The story also illuminates the unique love story and wedding of Rachel and her fiancé. The screenplay was written by Jenny Lumet and filming only took 33 days. The film was distributed by Sony Picture Classics, but only received limited release. It grossed a little over $16 million, but was highly critically acclaimed. It appeared first on main critics top ten lists for films of the year including the New York Times. The role of Kym got Hathway nominated for an Academy Award.

This is one of the most honest but yet oddly endearing films I have seen in a long time. Since I bought it last winter, I have probably watched the film over a dozen times. Each time I see it evokes new emotions from me and I find critical elements in the film that I find intriguing. Rachel Getting Married is a great new take on the "dysfunctional family" and I highly recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment