Monday, December 7, 2009

Weinberg #4 Must See TV


Continuing on Weinberg #4 I thought it was interesting what Tom wrote about what used to be "Must See TV" on NBC. Growing up every Thursday I made sure I was home to watch Must See TV on Thursday on NBC, and TGIF (on Fridays) ABC. I would have plans with either family or friends to watch that nights line-up together every week. Things have definitely changed since then as Tom notes. Now there is only one or two shows that I make sure I am home to see live. Instead of making plans with friends to watch TV live, we make dates to watch shows online together.
I'm interested in knowing what the future is going to bring for ratings, as the number of shows that are available to view online increases. In January, Hulu announced that they will being charging a few to view their once free selection of free videos. The President of Hulu said they will have some sort of membership fee, like instant Netflix. I wonder how that will affect network ratings as well, and if people will stay with Hulu now that the site will no longer be free. I think Chris Anderson's book that Tom mentioned sounds very interesting, especially to learn more about how sites like Amazon make their money.

No comments:

Post a Comment